he ancient art of potstickers is a guarded secret that we share with you today, the true art is that you can put whatever you would like inside of the delicious dumpling wrapper (though we would recommend at least staying within the meat & veggies realm and not getting real crazy with like creamcheese or something).
For the perfect savory dish, here’s what we recommend using–though feel free to swap the meat out:
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 1/2 lb fatty pork
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red hot chili flakes (don’t add if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1. Combine the above ingredients in a mixing bowl (or your food chopper if you’re lazy like me) for your wonton filling. Next you will need:
- wonton wrappers
- tablespoon of water (to wrap the wontons)
2. Take your mixed ingredients above and scoop about a tablespoon of the wonton filling onto the middle of one of your wonton wrappers. Wet the opposite edges of the wonton wrapper with water and fold them over to meet each other.
3. Close all air pockets at the edges to make sure none of that delicious wonton filling seeps out!
4. If you’re getting real jiggy with it, fold the edges over one another gently, as pictured below to make the pleats of the potsticker. Some flour on your cutting board/table will help to make sure these potstickers aren’t super stuck to your hands :]
**If you make a shit ton of potstickers at this point, you can freeze a bunch for later!
5. Now, let’s cook ’em. Grab about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil and add to a medium heat sauce pan. Lay 8-10 potstickers on the pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes, turn the potstickers over for another 2 minutes adding 1/4 cup of water to the pan, reducing heat to low. Cover the potstickers with a clear lid letting them steam. Let them cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the wonton wrapper is translucent. Remove the lid and flip the potstickers until they are a nice golden brown on the bottom.
6. Sauce boss, to make the dipping sauce, you will need:
- 2 tablespoons Kikkoman light soy sauce #productplacement
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
7. Throw that all in a pan & stir at a medium high heat. Pour the sauce into a bowl, serve warm with your potstickers and attempt to eat it with chopsticks.
You can also check out a video demo in the link here at Good Day Columbus!